Monday 18 April 2016

Blood, sweat and tears..

I knew and everyone around me knew that last weekend was going to be tough for me.. It was going to be my first marathon which I booked a year ago! I was gutted when I was diagnosed that my big plan and achievement for this year was being taken away from me.. 

I won't lie I am jealous of all the wonderful achievements my running friends did in Brighton, the medals and the times.. But I have coped better than I expected.. I had some tears Thursday night and Friday morning, but feeling more in control again on Saturday we went to Brighton for Jake to do his mini mile which he smashed!! He must have been running for me as he stormed round the course in 7:15 knocking 44 seconds off his time from last year. When both Adam and I saw him he was struggling to pass other boys so with a bit more confidence to start further up the front he could have been quicker i'm sure! 


So anyway, moving onto the positive news, I had my last blood test this morning for Chemo on Monday and my PICC line will be removed, so no more having to consider what I wear on treatment and nurse days, no more dressing changes, and no more having to cover my arm when I get in the shower!  I also saw the oncologist today and my lump wasn't measured as it is now less than 1cm so has had a great response to treatment. 

I also now have my next big dates confirmed for the next stage of treatment which will be my ultrasound and mammogram on 5th May, and meeting with my surgeon on 6th May to confirm my date for surgery and what exactly that is likely to be! 

London marathon is this Sunday  and we're looking forward to cheering on friends on tower bridge. This is the weekend that became my revised target when I was told my marathon was off for this year.. It was my hope that if I could stay well and have a smooth ride through Chemo that I would tie in finishing Chemo with VLM,  so after much blood (pre chemo tests), sweat (terrible night sweats!) and tears we're here and want to just get over that line to finish stage 1 of treatment. 

Oh yeah.. And I must remember to keep applying the sun cream to my folically challenged head😚




No comments:

Post a Comment